Pages

Friday, September 20

mission LOCAL ORGANIC BENCH: mostly accomplished

A few weeks ago Forestry came and cut down a bunch of dead/dangerous trees in our neighborhood {leaving remains ripe for the pickin...until of course Forestry comes back a few days later with a chain saw and wood chippers, turning this lumber into mulch!}. Well I saw this down tree on Bedford Ave, down near Lokal, and something twinkled inside of me, and I knew this wasn't just a down tree, it was so much more....


So, last Thursday I reached out to the McCarren Dog Runs Google Group {McDogrun, btw} and posted this facebook post on McCarren Dog Run Associations page.

 The cyber response was a bit underwhelming, I would say, but Meredith owner of Mousey Brown responded to the google group posting and she offered her hand truck. Awesome, but volunteers weren't exactly lining up....SO, on a crazy whim last Friday the 13th, I decided to spend a few hours devoting myself to this project, since time was ticking before the Forestry Monsters came to destroy our "benches".
I got the handcart from Meredith, who is a total doll btw, and darted over to see who was in the dog park, my plan was to approach strangers, explain my motivation, the urgency and ask for their help. When I arrived there were only a few people and this guy was willing to check it out and help me evaluate the situation. We determined that only one piece of the tree was feasible for me to handle without a team of volunteers. He helped me mount the log onto the handcart and then we split ways. I believe his name is Jeffrey, regardless of your name kind sir, you are awesome thank you soo much!
 This is local organic bench #1...probably about 300-400 pounds. I'm guessing.

Then this guy approached me, telling me he's been looking at this little block of wood that he thought would be great for seating too.....So, I went down and picked it up with the handcart. Local organic seat #2
As I was about to leave for the day, feeling pretty accomplished, some weird/stupid feeling of confidence took over me and I decided to see if I couldn't move that enormous chunk of trunk we'd been eyeing earlier but decided was too big....I wish I got a picture of the two huge dudes who helped me set up the handtruck. As they helped me lean the trunk back on Bedford Ave, they asked "are you sure?" and screamed "good luck" as I rolled away.

Here's where I give the DISCLAIMER {graphic photo below} and say that, I would not suggest doing such work on a whim, because you should always be prepared and wearing the proper clothing for the labor. As much as I am proud of my accomplishments last Friday, I am embarrassed that I didn't take the proper precautions by wearing gloves or sneakers. Especially being the 13th, I feel like I was inviting a snare. And surely enough, I would encounter a snare when the  handtruck started rolling a bit faster down a small slope, than I had adjusted for and the entire trunk came crashing down. As I pulled I away from the falling bench, my pinky finger got caught on the edge of the wood. and now I  had a new problems to deal with. My "bench" is down about 100 feet from the dog park {so close!}, my finger just got ripped open, I have to finish the job and move on.
So the first thing I do is get a paper towel and chunk of ice from the hot dog vendor who was right there. I applied pressure and ice on my walk over to Happy Dogs, where I know the owner {who is also on the board of McCarren Dog Run Association}. The lovely employee helped me bandage the wound  so I could go back out there and finish the job.
Well, I approached the down piece of wood knowing that I wouldn't be able to pick it up myself and I just stood there eyeing it and asking complete strangers if they could help me pick it up, so I could cart it over to the dog park. A few people said sorry and kept walking, until I saw this hulk biking by and I raised my voice "unless this guy can help me out..." and he stopped. I told him the story and he decided he would help me finish off the job.
When I showed my girlfriend a picture of this personal savior of mine, she said, "Jesus, you found Tom Brady?" Pretty much. Brett was an enormous help in not only assisting me lift the bench back up, but in guiding me to the dog park and spotting me. We even attempted to put the bench in the park...
...but that wasn't working with just 2 guys. We need to stand it up with the help of several people and shimmy it into the dog park.
 For now, this is where the bench lives...but at least we saved it from Forestry!
 Because on Monday they came and chopped up the remainder of this tree into mulch.

THIS JOB IS NOT DONE! We need volunteers to help move the bench into the park, where it can be enjoyed as I envisioned. So, if you are interested in helping me with the last leg of the project, please reach out and we can accomplish the mission! But it's going to take at least 5 strong individuals to move it safely and efficiently.  Please reach out to me if you can help this weekend, oh and bring gloves! ahaha.

1 comment:


  1. Total Corporate Services Pty Ltd, a commercial equipment importer, supply cleaning equipment and office equipment for many years in Australia. Covering a variety of equipment such as wet and dry cleaners, backpack vacuums, auto scrubbers, metal stationary cabinets and metal lockers etc.

    janitor cart

    ReplyDelete